This comes from Patreon Darrion N.
The First Demon Lord, the Beast, basically Satan, takes the form of either a black constantly shadowed humanoid figure who’s features you can’t make out or a seven headed dragon with burning crowns that emit and aura of flame to burn those nearby, the dragon form can conjure a massive ball of fire or several beams of fire, the ball basically being a super fireball, both forms can mark targets with Sin, dealing some psychic damage and making the target vulnerable to all damage for one turn like the Grave Cleric channel divinity.
Hell has its Tiamat. But the Abyss has its Beast.
The Beast is terror-come-chaosflesh, a creature borne of fire and damnation. In its true form, The Beast appears as a seven-headed dragon some 60-feet tall. Its very flesh writhes with fire and the faces of the souls it consumes. Magma coats its scales, glistening like water off a duck’s back.
What few mad mortal dare worship the Beast know that were the Beast ever to escape the mortal realms, destruction would soon befall man. Only the bravest heroes would hope to challenge such a thing—even then, the creature is better left to its own devices.
The Beast’s Lair
The Beast makes its lair in a pool of molten lava and burning flesh on one of the layers of the Abyss. It is rare that any creature—other fiends included—attempt to approach the Beast. The area considered the Lair of the Beast extends 5 miles in all directions from the pool where the Beast rests.
Lair Actions. On initiative count 20 (losing initiative ties) the Beast can take a lair action to cause one of the following effects.
- The Beast casts earthquake. Its spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 29), and it does not require material components. Once it uses this lair action it can’t use it again for 7 days.
- A cyclone of wind and chaosfire forms surrounding the Beast, in a 120-foot radius cylinder that’s one mile high centered on the Beast. All creatures within the cyclone when it appears automatically take 7 (2d6) fire damage plus 7 (2d6) necrotic damage. In addition, the creature must make a DC 29 Strength saving throw. On a failure, a target takes 28 (4d8 + 10) bludgeoning damage is flung up to 20 feet away from the Beast in a random direction and knocked prone. if a thrown target strikes an object, such as a wall or floor, the target takes 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage every 10 feet it was thrown. If the target is thrown at another creature, that creature must succeed on a DC 19 Dexterity saving throw or take the same damage and be knocked prone. If the saving throw is successful, the target takes half the bludgeoning damage and isn’t flung away or knocked prone. The cyclone remains as long as the Beast concentrates on it, up to 1 minute, or until the Beast uses this lair action to create a new cyclone. On its turn, the Beast can use its action to move the cyclone up to 30 feet in a direction of its choice. The Beast is immune to the effects of its own cyclone.
- The Beast targets one creature that it can see within 120 feet of it. The target must succeed on a DC 29 Dexterity saving throw or becomes enclosed in a floating sphere of acid. When the creature first enters the sphere and at the start of each of its turns it takes 14 (4d6) acid damage from the sphere. While inside the sphere, the creature is restrained. It can use its action on each of its turns to make a DC 29 Strength check to break out of the sphere of acid, landing in an unoccupied space within 5 feet of the sphere. Otherwise, the sphere continues as long as The Beast concentrates on it (as if concentrating on a spell), up to 1 minute. On its turn, the Beast can use its action to move the sphere up to 30 feet in a direction of its choice, including up or down.
Regional Effects. The region containing the Beast’s lair is warped by it magic, which creates one or more of the following effects:
- The area within 10 miles of the lair is unnaturally hot, with temperatures reaching as high as 150 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rocks within 1 mile of the lair spontaneously burst into molten lava. any creature within 10 feet of a rock that explodes must make a DC 13 Dexterity saving, taking 10 (3d6) fire damage on a failed saving throw or half as much damage on a successful one.
- Thick, black clouds constantly linger in the sky, blotting out all natural light sources within 10 miles of the lair. Magical darkness spells and effect double their area.
Gargantuan fiend, chaotic evil
Armor Class 26 (natural armor)
Hit Points 666 (36d20 + 288)
Speed 50 ft., fly 90 ft.
Abilities Str 30 (+10), Dex 10 (+0), Con 27 (+8), Int 26 (+8), Wis 27 (+8), Cha 30 (+10)
Saving Throws Int +17, Wis +17, Cha +19
Skills Intimidation +19, Perception +17, Persuasion +19
Damage Resistances cold, fire, lightning
Damage Immunities fire, necrotic, poison; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks that aren’t silvered
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, poisoned
Senses truesight 120 ft., passive Perception 27
Languages all, telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 30 (155,000 XP)
Aura of Chaosfire. At the start of each of the Beast’s turns, each creature within 10 feet of it takes 7 (2d6) fire damage plus 7 (2d6) necrotic damage and flammable objects in the aura that aren’t being worn or carried ignite. A creature that touches the Beast or hits it with a melee attack while within 5 feet of it takes 7 (2d6) fire damage plus 7 (2d6) necrotic damage.
Legendary Resistance (7/Day). If the Beast fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
Magic Resistance. The Beast has advantage on saving throws against spells and magical effects.
Regeneration. The Beast regains 10 hit points at the start of its turn. If it takes radiant damage, this trait doesn’t function at the start of its next turn. The Beast dies only if it starts its turn with 0 hit points and doesn’t regenerate.
Multiattack. The Beast can use its Gaze of Hopelessness. It then makes three attacks: two with its claws and one with its tail.
Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +19 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 24 (4d6 + 10) slashing damage.
Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +19 to hit, reach 25 ft., one target. Hit:28 (4d8 + 10) piercing damage.
Gaze of Hopelessness. The Beast targets one creature it can see within 90 feet of it that can see The Beast. That creature must make a DC 27 Wisdom saving throw. A creature that is immune to being charmed has advantage on this saving throw. On a failed Wisdom saving throw, the creature is overcome by feelings of hopelessness that it is unable to shake. While overcome with this feeling, the creature’s movement is reduced by half, it has disadvantage on all attacks rolls, ability checks, and saving throws, and it can only take an action or a bonus action on its turn, not both. The feeling lasts for 1 minute. At the end of each of the creature’s turns, it can repeat its saving throw, ending the effect on itself with a success.
If the creature’s initial saving throw is successful, the creature instead takes 7 (4d6) psychic damage and if the creature has 100 hit points or less after taking this damage, it is stunned until the end of its next turn.
Shadow Form. The Beast magically polymorphs into a Medium humanoid shadow. It reverts to its true form if it dies, Any equipment it is wearing or carrying is absorbed or borne by the new form (the Beast’s choice).
In its shadow form, the Beast retains its alignment, hit points, Hit Dice, ability to speak, proficiencies, traits, lair actions, and Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores, as well as this action and its magic absorption reaction. Its statistics and capabilities are otherwise replaced by those of a shadow.
Magic Absorption. Whenever the Beast is targeted by a spell of 6th-level or lower, it can use its reaction to make a Charisma saving throw against the spellcaster’s save DC. On a successful saving throw, the spell fails and the Beast regains 1d10 hit points for each level of the spell cast upon it. If it fails its saving throw, the Beast does not absorb the spell and the spell goes off as intended, potentially with a second saving throw.
The Beast can take 7 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. The Beast regains spent legendary action at the start of its turn.
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +19 to hit, reach 20 ft., one target. Hit: 26 (3d10 + 10) slashing damage plus 7 (2d6) fire damage plus 7 (2d6) necrotic damage.
Breathe Chaosfire (Costs 3 Actions). The Beast breathes a 120-cone of chaosfire. Each creature in the area must succeed on a DC 25 Dexterity saving throw, taking 45 (13d6) fire damage plus 45 (13d6) necrotic damage on a failed saving throw, or half as much damage on a successful one.
Mark of the Beast (Costs 6 Actions). The Beast targets one creature it can see within 120 feet of it. The target must make a DC 27 Charisma saving throw. On a failed saving throw, the creature is cursed. While the creature is cursed, it becomes vulnerable to all damage as long as it remains cursed. Once the Beast uses this action, it can’t use it again for 7 days.
Get this PDF and 80+ more PDFs
Patrons of the copper tier plus (only $3) get the PDF for this bad boy plus another 80+ patrons with new PDFs every day, all exclusive to Patreon. Plus, you get requests—this was a request, by the way—the ability to vote in polls, Discord access,a nd more.
Art by Shutterstock (used with permission).
[su_button url=”https://www.patreon.com/join/dmdave” target=”blank” background=”#6672CB” size=”7″ center=”yes”]Get this PDF plus another 80+ PDFs when you join now[/su_button]