Here is an interesting request. About a month ago, I was running a mini-game on my Patreon called Gods of Wandrossa. The game took way too much of my time to run properly, so I had to shut it down. But it did create some interesting stories while it was going.
One of the Gods of Wandrossa was a Goddess named Avelynn. Avelynn was a fairly significant goddess of life. Here is the description:
Avelynn is a female goddess; generally depicted as a motherly figure wearing flowing robes and her arms open in a loving embrace. She cares for all life and considers them to be her children; even those that have strayed from good for they are lost children who will one day return to their mother. Her symbol is an eye shedding a single tear. In contrast to other gods, Avelynn wishes to spread the warm feeling of motherly love to all of creation. She wishes to see her children learn and grow up to become the best they could be.
A few more details about Avelynn:
- Avelynn is neutral good.
- Her domains are knowledge and life.
- She is a greater deity.
To give Avelynn the prominence she commands, I want to create a CR 30 version of her, complete with lair and regional actions.
Avelynn, the Mother of All
Medium celestial, neutral good
Armor Class 26 (natural armor)
Hit Points 275 (22d8 + 176)
Speed 30 ft.
Abilities Str 24 (+7), Dex 22 (+6), Con 26 (+8), Int 26 (+8), Wis 30 (+10), Cha 30 (+10)
Saving Throws Con +17, Int +17, Wis +19, Cha +19
Skills Arcana +17, History +17, Investigation +17, Medicine +28, Nature +26, Perception +19, Persuasion +19, Religion +17
Damage Resistances radiant
Damage Immunities necrotic, poison; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, poisoned
Senses truesight 120 ft., passive Perception 29
Languages all, telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 30 (155,000 XP)
Discorporation. When Avelynn drops to 0 hit points or dies, her body is destroyed but her essence travels back to her domain in the Inbetween Realm, and she is unable to take physical form for a time.
Innate Spellcasting. Avelynn can innately cast plane shift or teleport at will without requiring any material components. Wisdom is her spellcasting ability for these spells.
Land’s Stride. Moving through nonmagical difficult terrain costs Avelynn no extra movement. She can also pass through nonmagical plants without being slowed by them and without taking damage from them if they have thorns, spines, or a similar hazard. In addition, Avelynn has advantage on saving throws against plants that are magically created or manipulated to impede movement, such as those created by the entangle spell.
Legendary Resistance (5/Day). If Avelynn fails a saving throw, she can choose to succeed instead.
Limited Magic Immunity. Unless she wishes to be affected, Avelynn is immune to spells of 6th level or lower. She has advantage on saving throws against all other spells and magical effects.
Magic Weapons. Avelynn’s weapon attacks are magical.
Mother of All. When a creature attacks Avelynn, that creature must make a DC 27 Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature must choose a different target, or the attack automatically misses. On a successful save, the creature is immune to this effect for 24 hours. The creature is aware of this effect before it makes its attack against Avelynn. This trait has no effect on constructs or undead.
Regeneration. Avelynn regains 50 hit points at the start of her turn.
Speak with Beasts and Plants. Avelynn can communicate with beasts and plants as if they shared a language.
Spellcasting. Avelynn is a 20th-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 27, +19 to hit with spell attacks). Avelynn has the following druid spells prepared:
- Cantrips (at will): druidcraft, guidance, light, mending, produce flame, resistance, spare the dying
- 1st Level (at will): animal friendship, detect evil and good, detect magic, faerie fire, purify food and drink
- 2nd Level (at will): animal messenger, calm emotions, protection from poison
- 3rd Level (at will): daylight, dispel magic, magic circle, plant growth, water walk
- 4th Level (3 slots): conjure woodland beings, dominate beast, grasping vine
- 5th Level (3 slots): awaken, reincarnate, scrying
- 6th Level (3 slots): conjure fey, heal, heroes’ feast
- 7th Level (3 slots): mirage arcane, regenerate
- 8th Level (2 slots): animal shapes, antipathy/sympathy
- 9th Level (2 slots): foresight, true resurrection, wish
Multiattack. Avelynn makes two quarterstaff attacks.
Quarterstaff. Melee Weapon Attack: +16 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (1d8 + 9) bludgeoning damage plus 42 (12d6) radiant damage.
Radiant Blast. Ranged Spell Attack: +19 to hit, range 120 ft., one target. Hit: 110 (20d10) radiant damage. This attack deals double damage to undead.
Healing Touch (5/Day). Avelynn touches another creature. The target magically regains 80 (16d8 + 8) hit points and is freed from any curse, disease, poison, blindness, or deafness. Alternatively, she can also expend one use of this trait to cast resurrection.
Avelynn can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. Avelynn regains spent legendary action at the start of her turn.
Attack. Avelynn makes an attack with her quarterstaff.
Spell. Avelynn casts one of her at will spells.
Charming Gaze (Costs 2 Actions). Avelynn targets one creature she can see within 30 feet of her. If the target can see Avelynn, the target must succeed on a DC 27 Wisdom saving throw against this magic or be charmed by Avelynn. The charmed target regards Avelynn as a trusted friend to be heeded and protected. Although the target isn’t under Avelynn’s control, it takes Avelynn’s requests or actions in the most favorable way it can.
Each time Avelynn or Avelynn’s companions do anything harmful to the target, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success. Otherwise, the effect lasts 24 hours or until Avelynn is destroyed, is on a different plane of existence than the target, or takes a bonus action to end the effect.
Life’s Blessing (Costs 3 Actions). Avelynn emits a wave of healing energy. Each creature of Avelynn’s choice within 30-feet of her regain 40 (8d8 + 4) hit points. This trait has no effect on undead or constructs.
Avelynn makes her lair in the forests north of Eltun. The forest is alive with magic, and all manner of life–mundane and monstrous–make their homes there.
On initiative count 20 (losing initiative ties), Avelynn takes a liar action to cause one of the following effects; Avelynn can’t use the same effect two rounds in a row.
- Avelynn repels undead. Each undead within 120 feet of Avelynn must make a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage. If the turned creature has a challenge rating of 8 or lower it is instantly destroyed. Otherwise, a turned creature must spend its turn trying to move as far away from Avelynn as it can, and it can’t willingly move to a space within 30 feet of Avelynn. It also can’t take reactions. For its action, it can use only the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there’s nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge action.
- All friendly plants and animals in Avelynn’s lair are empowered with her love. Each beast and plant of Avelynn’s choice gains 10 temporary hit points, and advantage on ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws until the next initiative count 20.
- The magic of Avelynn’s grove affects all evil creatures within the domain. Each creature of evil alignment within 120 feet of Avelynn have disadvantage on ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws until the next initiative count 20.
The region containing Avelynn’s lair is affected by her deific magic, which creates one or more of the following effects.
- The land within 6 miles of the lair takes twice as long as normal to traverse since plants grow thick.
- All beasts within 1 mile of Avelynn’s lair have a +1 increase to their Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores.
- Birthrates are higher within 12 miles of Avelynn’s lair, and mortality rates are lower.
BroadSword Magazine is now on Kickstarter!
It’s hard to believe that we were funded in less than five hours. Thanks so much to everyone’s that’s chipped in with their support.
If you haven’t already heard, go ahead and check it out now. This monthly magazine looks to capture the feel of the old Dungeon/Dragon magazines from the ’80s and ’80s. Old School Feel with New School (5e) rules.
Check out BroadSword Magazine on Kickstarter
Art by Shutterstock (Used with Permission)