At 1st level, a cleric gains the Divine Domain feature. The following dragon domain option is available to a cleric, in addition to those normally offered.
Dragons are an awesome force in the world, and as such, demand worship. Those who succumb to their whims are sometimes blessed with powers drawn from the draconic might. These dragon priests are often arrogant, stubborn bullies with quick tempers and a tendency towards megalomania.
You gain domain spells at the cleric levels listed in the Dragon Domain Spells table. See the Divine Domain class feature for how domain spells work.
Dragon Domain Spells
|1st||chromatic orb, comprehend languages|
|3rd||gust of wind, see invisibility|
|5th||hypnotic pattern, tongues|
|9th||dominate person, geas|
When you choose this domain at 1st level, you gain proficiency with heavy armor. In addition, you can speak Draconic.
At 1st level, you select a dragon type that empowers you with the might of a dragon, allowing you to make a special attack. Choose your dragon type: black, blue, green, red, or white. Your special attack depends on the chosen dragon type, as detailed below. You can change your dragon type whenever you gain a level in this class.
- Black. You can use your bonus action to force a creature within 30 feet of you to make a Dexterity saving throw. The creature takes 3d6 acid damage on a failed saving throw, and half as much damage on a successful one.
- Blue. As a bonus action, you can create an electric field that extends 10 feet all around you that lasts until the start of your next turn. Any creatures that enter or start their turn in the field must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw, taking 2d6 lightning damage on a failed save.
- Green. When a creature within 5 feet of you that you can see hits you with an attack, you can use your reaction to exhale a plume of poisonous gas, forcing the creature to make a Constitution saving throw. The creature takes 1d12 poison damage and is poisoned until the end of its next turn on a failed saving throw, and half as much damage and isn’t poisoned on a successful one.
- Red. You learn the fire bolt cantrip if you don’t already know it. You may use this feature to cast the cantrip as a bonus action.
- White. As a bonus action, you can hurl a ball of ice at one creature that you can see within 30 feet of you. Make a ranged spell attack. On a hit, you deal 2d8 cold damage and the creature’s movement speed is halved until the end of its next turn.
You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.
Channel Divinity: Draconic Presence
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to invoke fear in your enemies.
As an action, you present your holy symbol. Each hostile creature within 30 feet of you must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat its saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself with a success.
Starting at 6th level, your connection to your dragon grants you special abilities based on the type of dragon you chose at 1st level:
- Black. You gain resistance to acid damage. In addition, you can breathe underwater and gain a swim speed equal to your current walking speed.
- Blue. You gain resistance to lightning damage. In addition, you gain a burrow speed equal to your current walking speed.
- Green. You gain resistance to poison damage and the poisoned condition. You also have proficiency with the Deception skill. If you already have proficiency with the Deception skill, you can add your proficiency bonus twice to your ability checks that use Deception.
- Red. You gain resistance to fire damage. In addition, you gain a climb speed equal to your current walking speed.
- White. You gain resistance to cold damage and you can move across and climb icy surfaces without needing to make an ability check. Additionally, difficult terrain composed of ice or snow doesn’t cost you extra movement.
At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with divine energy. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 damage. The damage type is the same as the damage type you gained resistance to at 6th level.
At 17th level, your draconic deity blesses you with special powers related to the dragon type you selected at first level:
- You gain immunity to the same type of damage you gained resistance to at 6th level.
- You gain a fly speed equal to your current walking speed.
Want this in PDF format (Fifth Edition Design motif)?
All Patrons get access to content like this in PDF format in the “true” Fifth Edition style. My Patreon is only $3 per month for literally hundreds of thousands of words of content. I dare you to find a better deal anywhere else!
Thanks for reading!
For those of you who’ve requested it, I’m going to start making 5th-edition formatted PDFs for you to download. However, some of them will only be available on Patreon. As much as I’d love to give away more free content, I do have to pay the bills! Haha
Of course, everything is still free on here. Just not the PDFs.
But my Patreon is only $3 per month. On it, you’ll get original content not available anywhere else, as well as PDFs of the stuff I can “legally” share according to WotC’s OGL.
See you next time!
Art by Wizards of the Coast.