This is a pretty neat monster request from one of my patrons:
I was thinking on asking for a cool Reptile/Dino monster for my lizards to use as mounts, that would “shapeshift” accordingly with the needs (wings to fly, gills for water, etc) . As Big and Strong as possible hehe.
Let’s do it!
How I built this monster
This build is pretty straight forward. Here is what I hope to accomplish with it:
- Lizardfolk can ride on it. Since they’re Medium, I need to make the mounts at least Large size so it flies with the rules.
- They basically need to have alter self but can also use it to develop wings when needed.
- He says as “big and strong” as possible. I think CR 3 is a nice, comfortable number to go with (that’s what allosauruses are).
I think we’re good to go.
Large monstrosity, unaligned
Armor Class 13 (natural armor)
Hit Points 51 (8d10 + 18)
Speed 60 ft.
Abilities Str 19 (+4), Dex 13 (+1), Con 17 (+3), Int 3 (-4), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 6 (-2)
Skills Perception +5
Senses passive Perception 15
Challenge 3 (700 XP)
Multiattack. The scalesteed makes one attack with its bite and one attack with its claw.
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (1d10 + 4) piercing damage.
Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d8 + 4) slashing damage.
Evolve. As an action, the scalesteed can assume a different form. When the scalesteed takes this action, choose one of the following options, the effects of which last until it uses this action to gain the benefits of a different option.
- Aquatic Adaptation. The scalesteed can breathe underwater and gains a swimming speed of 60 feet.
- Ferocious Form. A melee weapon deals one extra die of its damage when the scalesteed hits with it.
- Flight. The scalesteed gains a flight speed of 60 feet.
- Natural Camouflage. The scalesteed has advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made while underwater.
Rapid Adaptability. If the scalesteed is targeted by an attack or effect that requires it to make a saving throw, it can use its reaction to gain advantage on the saving throw until the start of its next turn.
Get your requests made and a whole lot more when you become a patron!
Not only do patrons get their requests made, but you also get the following benefits:
- PDFs of all my original content.
- Vote in polls.
- The DM Dave Discord server which includes DM Dave’s personalized workshops.
- Have DM Dave run a roleplaying session for you!
- Swag and printed books.
Art by Shutterstock (used with permission).