Phaerimm are powerful magic-using beings that move by natural levitation. They resemble upright cones, the widest part uppermost, and the point ending in a barbed stinger-tail. They are intelligent, inimical, and highly dangerous.
The phaerimm like to live near others of their own kind (for mutual protection and the social satisfaction of vying with each other in devious plans). However, they usually prefer to operate alone or surround themselves with magically-controlled slave creatures to carry out their bidding.
Phaerimm eat all reptiles and mammals, keeping them as slaves until their turn as dinner. They especially hate tomb tappers, who seem immune to phaerimm mind-controlling magics.
Large aberration, chaotic evil
Armor Class 17 (natural armor)
Hit Points 147 (14d10 + 70)
Speed 15 ft., fly 30 ft. (hover)
Abilities Str 11 (+0), Dex 13 (+1), Con 20 (+5), Int 20 (+5), Wis 17 (+3), Cha 19 (+4)
Saving Throws Int +10, Wis +8, Cha +9
Skills Arcana +10, Deception +9, Insight +8, Perception +8
Damage Resistances cold, fire, lightning; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Senses truesight 60 ft., passive Perception 18
Languages Deep Speech, Undercommon, telepathy 60 ft.
Challenge 13 (10,000 XP)
Magic Absorption. Any time the phaerimm is targeted by a spell that deals damage it is resistant to and it succeeds on its saving throw, it regains hit points equal to the amount of damage it would have taken had it failed its saving throw.
Innate Spellcasting (Psionics). The phaerimm’s innate spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 18, +10 to hit with spell attacks). The phaerimm can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
- 1/day each: banishment, blight, dimension door, dominate person, enlarge/reduce, fireball, flaming sphere, haste, magic missile, ray of enfeeblement, shield, thunderwave, witch bolt, vampiric touch
Multiattack. The phaerimm makes six attacks: one with its bite, four with its fists, and one with its tail.
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (2d6) piercing damage.
Fist. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 5 (2d4) bludgeoning damage. Instead of dealing damage, the phaerimm can grapple the target (escape DC 13).
Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (3d4) piercing damage plus 18 (4d8) poison damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 18 Constitution saving throw or become paralyzed and infected with a disease: a phaerimm egg. While the creature is the host for the egg, its body levitates a few feet off the ground and it can’t move. The creature can repeat its saving throw once every 24 hour period, ending the effect itself on a success. Otherwise, over the next six days, the egg moves to the creature’s chest cavity, gestates, and forms a phaerimm hatchling. In the 24-hour period before giving birth, the hatchling begins to devour the host from the inside. Then, at birth, the phaerimm chews its way out of the host in 1 round, killing the host in the process. If the disease is cured or the creature passes its saving throw before the hatchling’s emergence, the unborn phaerimm is disintegrated.
Spell Reflection. If the phaerimm is targeted by a magic missile spell, a line spell, or a spell that requires a ranged attack roll, it can use its reaction to make an Intelligence (Arcana) check with a DC equal to 10 + the spell’s level. On a success, the phaerimm is unaffected, and the effect is reflected back at the caster as though it originated from the phaerimm, turning the caster into the target.
The phaerimm can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. The phaerimm regains spent legendary actions a the start of its turn.
- Cruel Break. The phaerimm targets one creature it can see within 60 feet of it. The target must make a DC 18 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, the target takes 14 (4d6) bludgeoning damage and suffers from one of the following effects:
- Broken Arm. The target has disadvantage on weapon attack rolls and Strength and Dexterity checks that involve using its hands. The injury heals if the creature receives magical healing or if it spends ten days doing nothing but resting.
- Broken Leg. The target’s speed on foot is halved and the creature falls prone whenever it takes a Dash action. In addition, the creature has disadvantage on Dexterity checks to balance. The injury heals if the creature receives magical healing or if it spends ten days doing nothing but resting.
- Haunting Image. The phaerimm targets one creature it can see within 60 feet of it. The target must succeed on a DC 18 Wisdom saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. The target can repeat this saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself with a success. If a creature’s saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to the phaerimm’s Haunting Image for the next 24 hours.
- Mind Warp (Costs 2 Actions). The phaerimm targets one creature it can see within 60 feet of it. The target must make a DC 18 Intelligence saving throw. The target takes 14 (4d6) psychic damage on a failed save and becomes stunned for 1 minute, or half as much damage on a successful one and doesn’t become stunned. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself with a success.
- Telekinetic Storm (Costs 3 Actions). The phaerimm unleashes a whirlwind of psychic energy in a 30-foot radius centered on the phaerimm. Each creature in the area must succeed on a DC 18 Strength saving throw or take 14 (4d6) bludgeoning damage and be knocked prone.
Support the blog with a share; it only takes a couple seconds!
Simply click one of the social share buttons below to let people know about the blog. The more fans I get, the more I can keep creating.
Hope you liked the phaerimm. Again, they have that awesome “wtf?” element to second edition D&D that I just love.
See you next time!