Reading through the new Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, I got a wild idea:
What if Batman lived in Waterdeep?
By day, Lord Bruce Waien is just another wealthy Waterdavian noble. As the owner of Waien Enterprises, Bruce has investments in nearly every corner of the city. He’s respected for business, but also known to be a bit of a playboy.
Of course, that’s all a cover for his true nature: he’s a vigilante that goes by the name the Bat Knight.
When night falls, Lord Bruce dons the black armor and helm of the Bat Knight and takes to the streets. He knows what evil lurks around the city and campaigns to thwart it at all costs.
Some think he’s a hero. Others think he’s a rogue. But the villains of Waterdeep know what he really is: a threat.
This was a fun one to make. While he’s super tough, Batman’s still a human. Therefore, I didn’t want to give him any stats above 18. A lot of his powers comes from his legendary magic items: helmet of the Bat Knight, armor of the Bat Knight, cloak of the bat (from the DMG), and his batarangs.
Keen readers might notice that the batarangs work similar to the orthon’s brass crossbow from Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes.
Also, Batman is a legend. And legendary heroes get legendary actions. To represent Batman’s pure martial skills, I gave him 6 attacks per turn (3 normal plus 3 legendary). He’s a blur with his +3 greatsword. Plus, his batarangs can help him level a playing field quick.
Taking some cues from the Jarlaxle entry in Waterdeep, Batman lands right around 16 Challenge Rating mostly for his damage output and resistances.
These stats for Bruce Waien, the Bat Knight and associated magic items are free for you to use in your 5e Dungeons & Dragons campaigns. Just not commercially. And the art isn’t mine; borrowed!
Bruce Waien, The Bat Knight
Medium humanoid (human), chaotic good
Armor Class 24 (armor of the Bat Knight, bracers of the Bat Knight)
Hit Points 170 (20d8 + 80)
Speed 30 ft., fly 40 ft. (with cloak of the bat)
Abilities Str 18 (+4), Dex 16 (+3), Con 18 (+4), Int 17 (+3), Wis 15 (+2), Cha 16 (+3)
Saves Dex +8, Con +9
Skills Acrobatics +8, Athletics +9, Intimidation +8, Investigation +8, Perception +7, Stealth +8
Damage Resistances cold, fire (while wearing armor of the Bat Knight)
Damage Immunities psychic (while wearing helmet of the Bat Knight)
Senses truesight 60 ft. (while wearing helm of the Bat Knight), passive Perception 17
Languages Common, Dwarvish, Elvish, Undercommon
Challenge 16 (15,000 XP)
Special Equipment. Bruce wears the armor of the Bat Knight, the helm of the Bat Knight, bracers of the Bat Knight, and a cloak of the bat. He wields a +3 greatsword and carries 6 batarangs.
Defense Fighter. While wearing armor, Bruce gains a +1 bonus to AC (included).
Great Weapon Fighter. Whenever Bruce rolls a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack he makes with a melee weapon that he is wielding with two hands, he can reroll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or 2. The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property in order for Bruce to gain this benefit.
Legendary Resistance (2/day). If Bruce fails a saving throw, he can choose to succeed instead.
Second Wind (Recharges after a Short or Long Rest). As a bonus action, Bruce can regain 20 hit points.
Superior Critical. Bruce’s weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 18-20.
Multiattack. Bruce makes three attacks with his +3 greatsword.
+3 Greatsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +12 to hit, range 5 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (2d6 + 7) slashing damage.
Batarangs. Ranged Weapon Attack: +12 to hit, range 30/90 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d4 + 4) bludgeoning damage plus one of the following effects:
- Knockout Gas (1/day). The target and all creatures within 10 feet of the target must each make a successful DC 17 Constitution saving throw or fall unconscious for 1 hour. An affected creature wakes if it takes damage or someone uses an action to shake or slap the affected creature awake. Undead and creature immune to being charmed aren’t affected by the knockout gas.
- Blindness (1/day). The target takes 5 (1d10) radiant damage. In addition, the target and all other creatures within 20 feet of it must each make a successful DC 17 Dexterity saving throw or be blinded until the end of Bruce’s next turn.
- Entanglement (1/day). The target must make a successful DC 17 Dexterity saving throw or be restrained by rope. A restrained creature can escape by using an action to make a successful DC 17 Dexterity or Strength check.
- Paralysis (1/day). The target takes 22 (4d10) lightning damage and must make a successful DC 17 Constitution saving throw or be paralyzed for 1 minute. The paralyzed target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
- Ricochet. The batarang bounces off the first target and hits a second target within 5 feet of the first target and within 30 feet of Bruce. Bruce then makes a second batarang attack against the new target. If the second batarang attack hits, the second target takes 6 (1d4 + 4) bludgeoning damage and Bruce may use the ricochet effect again against another new target hasn’t already received damage from Bruce’s batarang this turn. Bruce can continue to use the ricochet effect until there are no new targets available, at which point the batarang returns to Bruce.
- Tracking. For the next 24 hours, Bruce knows the direction and distance to the target, as long as it’s on the same plane of existence. If the target is on a different plane, Bruce knows which one, but not the exact location there.
Smoke Grenade (1/day). Bruce can throw a grenade at a point up to 60 feet away. When the grenade lands, it emits a cloud of smoke that creates a heavily obscured area in a 20-foot radius. A moderate wind (at least 10 miles per hour) disperses the smoke in 4 rounds; a strong wind (20 or more miles per hour) disperses it in 1 round.
Bruce can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. Bruce regains spent legendary actions at the start of his turn.
Attack. Bruce makes one attack with his +3 greatsword.
Hide. Bruce uses the hide action.
Move. Bruce moves up to half his speed.
New Magic Items
Here are new magic items available for 5e Dungeons & Dragons campaigns.
Bracers of the Bat Knight
Wondrous item, legendary (requires attunement)
While wearing these bracers, you gain a +2 bonus to AC if you using no shield.
The Armor of the Bat Knight
You have a +3 bonus to AC while wearing this set of plate armor. In addition, the armor is made of mithril; it does not impose a disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks and does not have a Strength requirement. Finally, the armor has resistance against cold and fire damage.
The Helmet of the Bat Knight
Wondrous item, legendary (requires attunement)
While wearing this helm, you have truesight out to a range of 60 ft. If you already have truesight, wearing the helmet increases its range by 60 feet. Additionally, you are immune to psychic damage and have advantage on saving throws against being charmed and frightened.
Thanks for reading!
Of course, now that I’ve made “Batman” I’ve got to make some bad guys, right? Well, that’s what’s next.
Fortunately, someone’s already made a pretty freaky Joker dragon demon thing painting, so that’ll be fun to stat.
See you then!